LDT 502 Instructional Design Mini-Reflection


I had the good fortune of working with, and learning from, two wonderful classmates during the creation of our instructional design process. We utilized a backward design model when planning our project. For example, our conversations began with the end goal in mind: helping faculty at the University of Skaro move their lessons to a podcast-based modality. Ironically, I co-host a weekly
podcast with my former colleague turned friend, Marana High School English teacher Brad Winchester. I began the instructional design process familiar with most of the basic steps required to start a podcast, but I had to shift my thinking to how I would teach a champion how to create their own.


Our team began by discussing the key elements that we enjoy in podcasts. We settled on: technical production, central idea, engagement, and enhancements. By the project’s end, we worked to ensure that these elements were clearly defined in order to ensure that each would be attainable for every one of our learners.


Resonated: First and foremost, the physical items required for a learner to create a podcast resonated with me right off the bat. I recall researching and creating my own lift and when I first started.

Left Me Cold: Engagement originally left me feeling a bit unsure as it relates to the design process. For example, I felt this way because engagement seemed very subjective to me. After meeting with my teammates and creating a working definition, the section was much less nebulous. Our rubric included specific verbiage that made this section very attainable.

Aligned Process with Target Learners: Our process was very much aligned with the target learners we were given. Our learning plan could be followed by any student in the class, regardless of background. The materials we included were accessible and information was presented in creative, accurate ways. We wanted learners to be able to activate prior knowledge and allow their unique personalities to shine through in the work.

Needs & Goals in Design Case: Yes, I believe that we met all goals discussed in the Design Case. We live in an increasingly digital world and at no point does this task seem too unachievable or burdensome for a learner to produce. We broke each milestone down by section, including images and other features to visually stimulate our audience. I often don’t read instruction manuals because of how plain they look. Learners will not have to worry about that with our website.


You can view our published site here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

LDT 506 Self-Assessment & Reflection

Defining Online and Blending Learning (LDT 523)