Defining Online and Blending Learning (LDT 523)


 How Online and Blended Learning Appear to Me

Online and blended learning is here to stay. My first formal introduction to online learning occurred during summer 2013. I enrolled in an online jazz course through Rio Salado College. I needed an extra course to satisfy the requirements of my program and my advisor recommended taking a subject of interest through a community college to save some coin. The course was traditional and broken up into modules. I am most grateful for being introduced to the wonders of John Coltrane’s discography. The course was fine, and I passed. However, in hindsight, I didn’t feel connected to my instructor or peers. There wasn’t a weekly “baking session” and I’m not sure Skype was widely used in academia. 

Blended learning existed well before I realized what it was. Several of my high school teachers utilized blended learning, requiring us to read articles and watch videos before arriving to class. We would use class time to discuss the material and dig deeper. I had this experience even more frequently during my time as an undergraduate student at the University of Arizona. These examples showcase what both learning environments have looked like to me. Each is unique from one another, yet students can thrive if there are clear learning objectives established and a sense of community is cultivated.

Significance

Learners are seeking more options now than ever before. I believe that fully in-person learning will remain the most popular option of instruction, particularly at the collegiate level, but it’s imperative that online and blended opportunities exist. There’s clearly a market for online and blended learning. Learners across the world value accessibility. We see it in other areas as well: shopping, food and beverage, etc. 

Advantages

The online format of our learning design and technologies program was a major selling point during my graduate program search. As much as I enjoy attending live classes and discussing content with colleagues face-to-face, the convenience of taking class online is such a huge benefit. I would imagine I’m not alone in this thinking. Ultimately the more modalities that are offered, the more students that can be reached. The more educated our communities are, the greater society we can become. Generational wealth is created, citizens become more well-informed, and more students can update their bios to proud Sun Devil alumni.

Disadvantages

I’ve always thought that I am a stronger student when enrolling for in-person learning. Fortunately, I’ve done pretty well with online courses. There are many keys to success when taking an online or blended course: time management, communicating with your professor, and self-motivation. I’ve caught myself on a few weekends mere feet away from turning on my Xbox controller. Devin Booker is on that NBA 2K23 cover just eyeing me, whispering, “Come on, Ty. You have time for a couple of games.” I have to constantly remind myself of that work hard, play hard mantra. That message my parents taught me many years ago about completing schoolwork before video games, evening fun, etc. has helped me greatly. It’s just easier to ignore your coursework when you’re in a blended or online format. Without self-motivation and consistent organization, success is unachievable. 


Meeting the Needs of Learners


Both online and blended learning can not only meet the needs, but further a learning’s understanding of the desired content. Educators and designers can utilize technological features to increase the interest and accessibility of content. According to recent research, more educational support can come from processes like gamification and interactive video. Students have more opportunities to align coursework with their learning style (The Benefits of Online Learning, 2020). My eyes were opened during our high school’s transition to remote learning in Spring 2020. Our district began hosting webinar sessions for how to use innovative apps and other technologies. I think it’s crucial these apps remain within our instruction and now that 2023 has arrived, we seek out even more innovative technologies that can help students achieve our learning objectives in creative ways. 


Used to Improve Learning Outcomes (Orgs and Academia) 

One of the biggest realizations that I had during my first few years in the classroom revolved around the importance of creating engaging learning outcomes. I know that may seem ridiculous because it’s so obvious. Hear me out: so many of my teachers made the day-to-day instruction look effortless. I had no clue of the work and planning required to facilitate learning for 180 days every year. Whether you are teaching 140 students each day or designing learning for employees of a company, everything you create should be intentional. Every graphic or required module step should be purposeful. As designers we must ask ourselves, “is this step or task contributing to our desired learning outcome?”. If the answer is no, it’s expendable or needs to be tweaked. Implementing blended learning creates an environment where adaptability is necessary to succeed—for both teacher and student (Duncan-Hudspeth, 2018). Adaptability is a crucial skill in any workspace. Through online and blended learning, students sharpen their adaptability skills without even realizing it and can highlight these experiences when applying for internships, jobs, etc.


Difference Between Online and Blended

Blended learning typically includes a hybrid option, featuring an in-person element. Online courses are those in which at least 80 percent of course content is delivered online. Blended (sometimes called hybrid) instruction has between 30 and 80 percent of the course content delivered online with some face-to-face interaction (Smith & Brame, n.d.). 


The Future

The future will require online and blended learning to remain and grow. I don’t foresee a society in which we have only one learning modality. I believe in-person, online, and blended learning will evolve and be re-designed in the years to come. The needs and interests of our learners change constantly. Our applications and modalities will need to do so as well in order for the greatest learning experiences possible to be created.


References


Duncan-Hudspeth, S. (2018, November 26). 3 Positives Outcomes of Blended Learning. Edutopia. Retrieved January 22, 2023, from https://www.edutopia.org/article/3-positive-outcomes-blended-learning

Smith, B., & Brame, C. (n.d.). Blended and Online Learning. Vanderbilt University. Retrieved January 22, 2023, from https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/blended-and-online-learning/

The Benefits of Online Learning. (2020, October 15). ASU Online. https://asuonline.asu.edu/newsroom/online-learning-tips/benefits-online-learning/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

LDT 506 Self-Assessment & Reflection