What is Learning Design? (Reflection)

 Step 1

Admittedly, I was an absolute novice as it relates to the concept of learning design and technologies prior to starting the master’s program here at ASU. I have six years of secondary classroom experience, so I definitely have experience creating lessons and utilizing technologies. However, even after cursory internet searches, I still truthfully entered the program feeling unsure of what exactly this is. When I would try explaining the program to inquiring friends and family, I felt much like the person from the “woman in the park” scenario from this week’s reading who had trouble coming up with a concise, interesting definition. However, these past three weeks of our class have provided me with more experience and confidence to give it a try.

Learning design is the process by which someone (or multiple people) consider essential factors such as diversity of learners, how to activate prior knowledge, and desired learning outcomes to create the most efficient, engaging module or format possible to create a meaningful learning experience. The most critical words of my personal definition for learning design are my attempted alliteration: efficient, engaging and experience. Regardless of the location, I believe the best learning occurs when it’s well-organized, considers my own interests, and leaves me feeling like I left with an experience as opposed to just a box I had to check for work, school, etc. Technology is so crucial in the process of learning because of the expanded learning opportunities that it provides. Quite simply, some form of technology has to be included in just about anything we create in the year 2022.  For example, we use Flip in our LDT 501 class instead of an older, traditional discussion board forum. This discussion format significantly increases my learning and, I’d argue just as important, my buy-in because I can see my classmates and hear their voices. I feel community.

Learning designers must remain intrepid and creative, seeking new technologies that could provide learners with enriching experiences. The first high school I worked at received 1:1 status the year I started there. In many ways, technology is fundamental to my teaching identity. Students receiving laptops from our school district made my job much easier (feels odd to type that sentence) and, well, fun. I could create many more creative activities for students and those who were absent could often still experience the lesson. This week’s readings connected to my definition because I was provided reassurance through our text that I am not the only person who thinks learning design can be tough to define. Furthermore, one of my takeaways from our reading that connects with my definition is the recommended shift in our thinking that when we market ourselves, we should speak to how we are designers and producers of content. We are not robots from a Will Smith film. We create and adapt our week to meet the needs and interests of learners and the world around us.

Step 2

(Image courtesy of Pinterest)

The classic scene from 90s sitcom Saved by the Bell reminds me of learning design because:

  1. I’ve had to “hit my own pause button” several times to try understanding what exactly learning design and technology ..  is.

  2. With my increasing knowledge and exposure to the field, I believe it’s crucial for designers to hit the proverbial pause button before creating a new learning module or activity to assess many factors such as:

  • What strengths do my learners bring to this?

  • What issues might they run into?

  • How can I activate prior knowledge?

  • What’s the best way to increase buy-in?

  • Which skill so understandings do I want them to leave with?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

LDT 506 Self-Assessment & Reflection

Defining Online and Blending Learning (LDT 523)